HISTORY ABOUT IDOBORG
Idöborg is a privately owned island of 7 hectares located in Nämdö archipelago approximately one and a half hours from Stockholm. The first thing you meet when arriving in Idöborg is the big white Jugendvillan located on the island's highest point. The house with its impressive green roof was built in 1909 by Gustav Pott, who owned Stockholm's Skofabrik and a large part of the islands in the area. Pott was very interested in seabird hunting, and in the years 1910-1914 he built a network of wooden bridges between Idöborg, Idö, Lilla Kovilan, Stora Kovilan, Långskär, Rågskärs Kalvholme, Rågskärs Grund, Rågskärs Västra Udde, Rågskär and Lilla Finnholmen. Quickly get around between the islands. The bridges have been demolished for a long time, but today there are still many bridge foundations to be seen.
During the twentieth century Idöborg and many other islands were purchased in the region of Torsten Kreuger, including Bullerö where Bruno Liljefors had his studio. Torsten loved the archipelago, sailing, the contact with the fishermen and the wildlife in and around the islands. Torsten sold the Buller Island area in 1967, with the exception of three islands, to what was then the Domain Agency. The sale of 4300 ha of archipelago was subject to the condition that the islands would not be exploited. This is introduced in the same year, as it is today, the Buller earse reservoir is founded, a very birdy and well-known reserve near Idöborg. The bird-interested elder son Björn was allowed to keep Lilla Alskär, the middle son Sten Idöborg and the youngest son John Harö.
In 1976, Sten and Annette married. They got the children Otto and Emma. The stone, like his father, was Torsten and his uncle, Ivar, interested in boats and, therefore, came to build boats at Idöborg, first in plastic, which he soon abandoned when it was too dangerous. He went on to build boats in steel and aluminum. Among other things, flat ferries, fishing and taxi boats were built and a larger vessel for marine research on the west coast. During the turnaround, Ängsvillan, Sunset, Förstugan and the storehouse were built. Sten decided in 1985 to move to the mainland and thus sell the island. This opened the opportunity for Annette, now separated from Sten, to buy the island she loved since she first set foot on it.
From the beginning, the plan was to start a training and conference center in Idöborg and revive the beauty of the beautiful archipelago nature. During Annette's time as hostess and leader of the business, a highly appreciated bastubuilding was built in old timber with wood burning sauna, cozy fireplace with fireplace and wall-mounted benches with sheepfolds. A detached local called Dojon was built entirely in wood with one end of glass facing the sunrise in the east. The atmospheric atmosphere of Dojon has been appreciated by both retreat and conference guests. Annette, who has been Buddhist since the late 80's, has since 2006 also taught Tibetan Buddhism. The island is today hosted by Swedish and foreign teachers in, among other things, Buddhism, Yoga and Mindfulness.
The most common comment we receive from guests is that "Idöborg is a real paradise island!".